Monday, March 9, 2020

Roguinu -- how much do I know about Japan?

Roguinu.  OK, so in general they do not put any spaces between words.  And the L sound is difficult for Japanese people to say.  They have one sound that is between an L and a R.  And they do not have an alphabet, they have a syllabary -- every consonant is followed by a vowel.

So now we can try decoding.  Instead of the R, I will try an L.  And maybe the G does not have a U after it.  LOG!!! So I figured out, finally, how to log in and make entries in my blog.  Once I log in, it is in English.

Lululemon.  Listening to the "How I Built That" podcast on Lululemon, I learned that the Japanese were attracted to American-sounding brand names.  So Japanese companies were making up English names.  When Lululemon founder wanted to attract Japanese customers, he knew that a word with 3 (unpronounceable) L sounds would be seen as truly American, not as a Japanese company trying to look American. 

What else do I know?  I know that you are not supposed wear the toilet slippers outside the toilet room.  But knowing this did not keep me from embarrassing myself terribly at a restaurant by doing just that.

We were starving when we arrived, and had to ask the proprietor to read the menu.  I can only read the phonetic alphabets, not the Kanji borrowed from the Chinese.  We had excellent Tempura, though we were the only customers.


No comments:

Post a Comment