Friday, April 17, 2020

Time to try trail running

My last run on the shared bike/run/walk trail had a bit of an altercation.  A runner came by me practically shoulder to shoulder.  I said, "Next time you need to be further away.  I am old."  He ran a bit ahead, stopped, and turned around, a bit confrontational. "What?"  I said, "You need to keep 6 feet away.  I am old." He said, "Relax."  I said, as he turned away to run, "I will relax when you agree to take this seriously."

Then there was the New York times article about the unpublished study suggesting that there is a plume of breath 15 feet behind a runner.  So people on the neighborhood listserve were becoming anti-runner....

Time to try trail running.  Woods.  Hiking trail of dirt, not paved.  I cannot run on the whole route:




But when I am running, the mind and brain are fully engaged with finding good footing.  And scrambling across the stream, climbing down steep steps, and avoiding rock and roots are good exercise too.

It is easy to forget that we are a short distance from a waterfall and from the Potomac River!



And a full complement of spring wildflowers, including Virginia bluebells.







And even the poison ivy is pretty this time of year from a distance.




No comments:

Post a Comment