Thursday, August 15, 2013

Immigration/Will's arrival

After 17 days at sea, Will's ship, the Figaro, arrived on time in Yokohama.  He had been given access to e-mail on the ship, so was able to give some updates to the arrival plans.  We agreed to meet at the immigration center -- an agent would guide him there.

 I took the shinkansen (bullet train) to Yokohama from Kyoto, then a taxi to the port. I was very relieved to see water when I was dropped off.  I was left off near immigration, and guided to the large passenger terminal.  Someone was going towards the port with a suitcase, and away from the port with a Port Yokohama shopping bag.  But as I went up, it was clear that it was closed for immigration.

No Will.

I found an information desk, and the woman there explained that immigration was only open when passenger ships came in.  She made a couple of calls.  She was just finding out about the second immigration office when Will called my Japanese cell phone on his agent's Japanese cell.  The two offices were only a 5 minute walk apart, and we were quickly united!

It was quite a schlep to haul his gear back to Kyoto.  After one night in the small apartment, we moved to the new larger apartment, with more room for stuff and Nick!

For more on Will's journey, take a look at his blog.

wchayes142.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment