Monday, May 26, 2014

What is worth worrying about?



We have clearly developed a cautious mindset in response to worry about pickpockets or others who might want to take our things.  First of all, we don’t have much to take – passports and cash are in money belts; and, second, my bag is slash proof.  We keep an eye on one another – Will serves as watchman when I draw money out of the ATM, and I watch when he is concentrating on taking pictures in iffy places.

Earlier in the trip we worried about what we ate – in iffy places we were sticking to food that was hot-to-the-touch.  And why not have beer with lunch instead of unsafe water?  No such worries with Great Britain and France.  Lana, the nurse from the ship who advised before each country, said that in England we could not only drink the water and eat the food, but also have sex with monkeys.  (You had to be there to understand this one.)

My whole life I have worried about being hungry.  For example, after Nick was born, I had not eaten for quite a long time, and was worried about getting a headache from being hungry.  The doctor assured me that I was not going to get a headache with all the meds I was taking.  So on today’s bus trip I have probably have enough food for 2 days….

Will worries about being in rush hour crowds (though I am more likely to feel a bit claustrophobic when we actually are in a crowd).  And he worries about being caught in the rain – to which I always say that I am not so sweet that I will melt in the rain. 

But maybe none of this is worth worrying about......


No comments:

Post a Comment