Monday, May 26, 2014

Paris fashion and design



I kept looking for it.  I guess it was right under my feet; there were lots of interesting shoes.  I started letting my pictures include some feet to catch the interesting colors and designs. 

They were wearing the same skinny jeans, leggingsm and skinny pants that are all over the world at this point.  Most of the interest was in the scarves.  Men and women were wearing patterned scarves, and many were in cotton.  There were several ways that they were worn, and with the weather still cool, it made sense to wrap the neck well, as they did. 

Walking along the Seine, we stumbled into a design festival.  These were sort of pop-up design shops in refitted shipping containers.  Painted in charcoal grey with some bright yellow writing and lots of windows, these made for attractive displays.  The designs were very clever, and as interesting and fresh as what I see in magazines and in the New York Times.

One fellow had some made some fittings on a 3-D printer to hold together a wooden table..  Another was making very handsome wooden keyboards that were machined from a single piece of wood -- customize your own for 150 Euro.   Another had made a giant “knitting knobby” to make circular fabric from recycled wool and silk.  And delicate ballerina-like legs held up a small wooden side table.

And my haircut.  I decided that my overgrown locks could be easily contributed to a souvenir haircut.  The fellow indicated that they must have 3 years of training in France to be a hairdresser – and 2 more years if you want to own a salon.  I have never had a razor cut before, and am enthralled with how well the hair goes where it is supposed to go.   How will I find someone to do this in DC?

No comments:

Post a Comment