Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Vegan (plus fish)



I could not do it.  Peanut butter was the only protein for breakfast and lunch for days on end.  Every dinner had fish, so at least there was some other form of protein by the end of the day.  

So I spoke to Carol – the Semester at Sea front office person – she checked and sent me to Ronnie in the 6th floor dining room.  He said he could not do anything about breakfast, but could give me fish or beans or tofu for lunch.  Now they look for me to see if I am OK.  Now they have started making beans available at the salad bar every day, so I am usually fine.

I bought some soy milk in Hong Kong, and showed it to Ronnie – he said he has it and all I need to do is ask.  So now I can have whole grain cereal as one option.

Food is more or less basic 1950’s cuisine.  Potatoes 3 meals a day, pasta, casseroles, meat, fish, steamed vegetables.  Always a good salad bar.  Seldom any whole grains.  I am seeing if I can have potatoes for 21 straight meals.

Actually, I got a good cookbook in Hong Kong, and was given a cookbook from Bahrain in Japan, so I can imagine other food.  Hong Kong food was good, and Will and I are signed up for a market and cooking class in Ho Chi Minh City.

No comments:

Post a Comment