Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Train service in Japan and the US



It was easy to book Amtrak on line, and the price was good.  I thought a leisurely trip down the coast of California would be scenic, and arrival in San Diego from San Luis Obispo mid-evening would be perfect.  After lots of train travel in Japan, it all sounded quite charming and civilized. 

After we mailed boxes back to Arlington from the San Luis Obispo Post Office, Nick dropped me off a bit before noon for my 1:30 train, then he headed for his first day of class.  I was able to check my two large duffels inexpensively, and head for a nearby lunch with just the small rolling bag and backpack.  I took my time because the train was posted as an hour late.

Actually the train was more than two hours late.  That shortened the daytime for watching the coast, and brought me into San Diego close to midnight.  There was a good sunset over the Pacific!  I had paid a bit extra for business class, and was welcomed by name.  The person who served me kept offering drinks and snacks, and telling me her life story – all seemed to be in service of a good tip.

When I arrived, Amtrak was very helpful in getting my duffels to a cab, and the evening ended OK, if late.

No comments:

Post a Comment