Monday, June 2, 2014

Offices of all kinds

My office in Japan was a huge shared office for 2 of us.  We each had a desk and there was a shared computer stand with a slow computer.  In addition, the office had a seating area with a couch and 2 chairs as well as a sink and sideboard.  There were bookcases all along one wall, and lots of floor space for us to spread out cardboard, glue, foil, etc. for making prototype solar cookers.

On the MV Explorer, my office was the same as the shared room that Will and I occupied.  In front of the mirror, there was a glass ledge about 12 inches deep and about 3 or 4 feet long -- that was my desk.  From time to time I used our 15 inch across round table as a desk and sat on the tiny banquette. 

During the day the lounge was a quiet faculty (and life-long learner) work space -- it was on the top deck at the front of the ship, and if the seas were a bit rough, it was too bouncy for me to read or write.  But on quiet days, I sometimes worked there.  My favorite spot (and there was no competition for this spot) was standing at the piano bar.  there was room to spread thing out, and using a standing desk was a nice contrast to a lot of sitting.

Today I got my new office in the Psychology building.  Because the building is old, the office is quite large.  It has two windows!  At the moment, there is nothing on the walls, and it is only furnished with 2 bookcases (nearly empty), a small computer stand, and a basic chair.  The walls are white, peeling in a few spots, and the floor is red tile, slightly buckled with age.  One of my colleagues stopped by and suggested that it looked more like a prison cell; another colleague suggested that I had taken the minimalist look too far.  Perhaps I will take in something with color tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment