Thursday, June 5, 2014

Back -- at work, home and in DC

I stopped by to talk with staff in the Columbian College office -- they said that they had never seen me so relaxed!  A year's sabbatical can do that for you!  At the start of the year, it was hard to get my body to sleep 8 hours, even when there were no deadlines.  But after a while, my mind and body adjusted to the sabbatical, to good effect.

I found it very relaxing to eat on the back deck of the ship, and am finding it relaxing to eat in the back yard here.  Though, perhaps not quite as relaxing -- I still notice the airplane noises, and have not gotten over the huge new house behind us.  But I can face the other way, and am getting used to the airplanes.

When I was growing up, and Ray was hung over, he would oil the teak.  When I was jet lagged from these travels, I oiled the wooden kitchen counter.........the tactile experience of the wood and the oil is very soothing.

I have also found the roses, the last stage of spring in DC, very familiar and cheerful.  And the first firefly, a sign of impending summer, last night also was familiar and cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment