Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Car-free or car-lite?

I sold my Subaru before I left, and Will's Prius is dead in front of the house.  This seemed like a perfect opportunity to go car-free, for at least a while.  On the first day, David paid for a cab to drive me home from his house.  Thanks David.  It was easy to walk to the grocery store, but not so easy to carry everything home -- did I really need the personal-sized watermelon?  It has been delicious.

On the second day, it was easy to walk to the grocery store, but not so easy to carry everything home. Did I really need the personal-sized watermelon?  It has been delicious. I walked to explore the neighborhood, did not go to church, and did not need a car.

The third day, I needed to check in at the doctor's office.  It was a good walk, perhaps a bit more than a mile.  Then they referred me to the hospital for an x-ray of my foot, and I got there by cab.  Next stop was the credit union to talk about my mortgage -- walked there.  Walked home.  After lunch, I walked to Metro, took Metro, and walked from Union Station to go see a performance at Madeline's school.

Enough.  I have borrowed Dave and Liz's extra car.  The County of Arlington promotes the car-free diet, but they also talk about going car-lite.  I think I need to opt for car-lite.  How am I going to buy fish for my outside "ponds" without a car?  How will I get to the plant nursery?  How will I pick up Barb?

No comments:

Post a Comment