Thursday, August 7, 2014

Urban biking -- African leader's summit

Biking in to campus on Tuesday, I was guided at one point by a cluster of 5 police officers -- must be because of the African leader's summit.  Following that, my  usual bike parking spot had been taken over by campus construction, so I parked in a different spot.

Getting to my bike to go home, I had to walk through another cluster of 5 police officers, this time surrounding a homeless man who apparently had done something wrong in front of the DC high school that is on our campus. 

And as I approached the Kennedy Center on my bike, there were 5 more police officers -- the vangauard of many more who were observing a rally.  I asked about the best route, and they said I would be fine across the street from the speakers.  I could not understand the language (probably Arabic), or read the signs.  No idea what was their issue.  On my side of the street, there were about 100 women with head scarves and children.  Across the street were men, mostly in Westerns dress.

And the next morning, on the way in, the Kennedy Center surface level parking lot seemed to be a police staging ground -- with police cars and motor cycles mixed in with the Lion King truck.

What do I still remember from my urban biking class? 
1.  It is important to communicate clearly with motorists -- with hands, body, and overall decisiveness
2.  Hope you never need to, but you can ditch off the back of the bike if need be.
3.  A quick push of the handlebars to the left will enable a quick right turn.
4.  Don't get doored -- ride 4 feet away from parked cars.
5.  Don't be afraid of using both the right and left brakes -- you will not fly over the handle bars.
6.  You have more control if you are pedaling -- even on the downhills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment