Tuesday, August 19, 2014

More on urban biking

The bike is still a little balky about getting into first gear on the front sprocket (my Granny gears).  But when I can get into first, I can now ride all the way home without stopping to walk.  Those hills that used to look too step are, in fact, OK!

What else have I learned?

Not to be afraid to go a bit fast.  Basically the bike will keep moving forward even if it hits a small bump.

Best control comes when pedaling -- so I use 3rd gear on the front sprocket more now, and even pedal on some of the downhills.


Just these changes have shortened the approximately 3-mile trip by about 5 minutes!

Custis running trail = Custis bike trail.

Just like roads can have sensors that detect cars, the bike path has sensors that detect bikes so that they can count usage.  Lots of people are away on vacation in August, but, in spite of that, there are over 1000 people past the Rosslyn checkpoint every day!

1 comment:

  1. PEG! I found you!! I've been looking for an email to get in touch with you since we left the ship, but I haven't had luck. Tonight, I found your blog!! :) YAY!! Since I can't figure out a way to email you (or find you on Facebook), can you email me? I'm emilyplank1 [at] hotmail [dot] com. Miss you!!! Hugs, Emily

    ReplyDelete