Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Finally completely warm all day in Kyoto and Shiga Prefecture

The day before, I was at a meeting where only two of us were not wearing our winter coats and scarves.  So I was determined to figure out how to be warm all day.  And I choose a rainy day. 

Waking up under the thick covers in my thick jammies, I was warm.

Now I understand that the minimum number of layers (not counting coats) is 3.  So I tried 4 layers.

Thick cotton turtleneck, thin wool sweater, down vest, and large cotton Japanese sweater.  And on the bottom, tights and a very long skirt and boots ($20, from China). 

And for outside, down coat and wool scarf.

This worked in Kyoto, and also in Shiga Prefecture where I went for my research.  Shiga is colder, and it was raining there too. 

At the end of the day, I was still warm, and after dinner tucked under the kotatsu to get very very warm before getting under the covers.

Some Japanese have scarves the size of small blankets.  If it gets colder, I will try that.




No comments:

Post a Comment